Saturday, June 7, 2008

SCHOOL HOLS AND A VISIT FROM THE PAST

School 2-weeks mid year break will be over tomorrow...how time flies. We didnt go anywhere this time, just attending the never ending kenduris and receiving our relatives yang balik kampung. How our house came alive with all the noise.....

The highlights of this schoolholiday would be the visit from Mama's friend, Aunty Dr Normi who came along with the whole family. It was so nice of them to come and visit us again. This is actually the second time they came, the first visit was 4 years ago. What touches me is how Normi always remember and appreciate me baby-sitting her first two wonderful daughters long time ago. And I know she always tell Kak Long and Kak Ngah about me. These two girls are 17 and 15 now and turn out to be very beautiful girls and well behaved too. I kind of proud of them....

Normi and Husband were doing their PhD at that time and I was childless and quite lonely when Abah was attending his classes . We were living in the same building and I used to see her and her husband bundling their kids,then 5 and 3, every morning to the car and sent them somewhere quite far from where we live. On a heavily snowing day, it was not an easy task....and if it wasnt snowing, it was always very windy in Glasgow....and always raining too!

I knew she wanted to ask me to look after her kids but kind of segan la,konon2nya takkan lah orang macam Mama nak babysit anak orang.... so, I decided to offer my service, free of charge, of course. But, Normi wont listen to it....but she really wanted her kids to be with me. Thus began our 'fights' .......she wanted to pay me, I didnt want to accept, she paid me nevertheless, I reproach in kinds etc,etc...

And our friendship began.

I took care of them as if they were my own.....they used to get scolded by me, Kak Long said she remembered how strict I was especially when it came to mengaji....and at the same time they also got to be manja-manja with me.

All in all, it was a win-win situation. I helped them saved on their time and money and the kids kept me occupied and happy. And I could always sent them home if Abah asked me to accompany him somewhere as Normi and husband usually did their study at home.

What amazed me is, how easy it was for you, Abang and Adik, to 'click' with them, as if all of you have known each other from day one. It happened on their first visit and happened again last week.....I guess my 'touch' was there after all......and I do realize now that those time spent baby-sitting them had been a good training ground for me.

Well, school starts again on Monday, and both of you will right away sit for your tahfiz test. Abang will be tested on Surah ad Dukhan and Adik on al Mulk. No problem for adik as you have memorised it since last year and been reciting it every night between maghrib and Isya' time . Hope Abang will do okay too, you still have tonite and tomorrow to perfect it. Other schoolworks were done in the first few days of the break..... I'll be lonely again Monday, Abah off to Ipoh tomorrow and both of you will be at school from 8 to 4. Sigh.....

No comments: